Firefighters in East Northport battled raging flames and a propane explosion last week during a house fire that left one person injured.
The East Northport Fire Department received reports of a fire on Ripley Drive at approximately 12:30 p.m., Feb. 28, fire officials said. Chief John Jacobsen from the Northport Fire Department was the first on scene and confirmed the house was on fire.
Fire officials said the first responding crews were met with intense flames in the back of the house, followed by an explosion after the fire ignited gas from a 30-pound propane cylinder.
Firefighters were able to contain the fire to the back of the house despite the propane explosion sending flames 30 feet above the roof, according to fire officials.
Fire officials said it took about 60 firefighters from East Northport, Northport, Greenlawn and Commack, under the command of Chief Dan Flanagan, an hour and a half to bring the flames under control.
One female resident of the home was taken to Huntington Hospital for treatment of minor injuries, according to fire officials. The fire is under investigation by the Suffolk Police Arson Squad and Town of Huntington Fire Marshal.