Manhunt For Burglary Suspects Ends With Chase To LIE

By Danny Schrafel


Bonnie and Clyde they ain’t.

A couple accused of burglarizing one home and trying to break into another were arrested after a brief manhunt in the streets of Dix Hills last week.

Jose Munoz, 38, and his girlfriend, Yolanda Santos, 30, both of Bay Shore, are accused of second-degree burglary and second-degree attempted burglary for a pair of June 23 incidents.

Santos is also accused of breaking into a home on Stonehurst Lane on Friday, June 20, in which she allegedly chucked a brick through the rear sliding-glass door and stole jewelry from inside.

Second Precinct officers responded to a 911 call at 12:10 June 23 after a woman reported a suspicious man walking outside her Knox Place home. After he rang her doorbell and she didn’t answer, he went around to the back of the home – allegedly in similar fashion to his girlfriend’s efforts at Stonehurst a few days earlier – and threw a rock through a window. Once confronted by the homeowner, though, he ran off.

While searching the neighborhood in his patrol car, Officer Ryan West heard a woman that was screaming from a home on Village Hill Drive. She was yelling out of a window because an unknown man had entered her home. In both cases, police allege, Munoz was the suspect.

When West approached the residence, the suspect ran, and a 20-minute foot chase began with Second Precinct officers, a helicopter and K-9 units hot on his tail. After approximately 20 minutes, police said two good Samaritans, who noticed the police activity and saw the chase, were able to detain Munoz on the Long Island Expressway Service Road near Commack Road in Dix Hills.

As officers searched for Munoz, they discovered Santos walking around the neighborhood “suspiciously.” Police said they quickly determined she was Munoz’s accomplice and arrested her.

Munoz remains jailed on $50,000 cash bail and $100,000 bond; he was due back in court after press time July 2. Meanwhile, Santos is being held on $10,000 cash bail and $20,000 bond, and is due back in court Aug. 21.